I love the taste of cinnamon and lately I have been adding it to my toast, coffee and smoothies. Why? The benefits are wonderful!
- Loaded with Antioxidants
- Studies show that people who added 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon per day to their diet had lower risk for heart disease
- Lowers bad LDL and increases good HDL
- Can Improve sensitivity to the hormone insulin – insulin is part of regulating your metabolism and energy use, Cinnamon can reduce the insulin resistance many people have
- Lowers Blood Sugar Levels
- Studies link Cinnamon to inhibit the buildup of tau in the brain which is a trademark of Alzheimer’s disease
- Studies link cinnamon to help protect neurons and improve motor function
- Helps fight bacterial and fungal infections
- Optimizes Oral Health
- Skin Health
- Natural Sweetener
- Contains small amounts of protein, fiber, maganese, calcium, iron, vitamin K, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin B6, magnesium, potassium, zinc & copper
Make sure you are using Ceylon Cinnamon, this is “true” cinnamon there are other varieties that have coumarin in them which is not believed to be good for us.
Add this to your diet and share how you are doing it with us.
Liquid Gold, literally, I had forgotten how beneficial Honey in your diet was until reading EatingWell Magazine the other day. Since then I have been putting it into my smoothies and the natural sweetener is subtle and the benefits huge.
- Fat Free
- Cholesterol Free
- Sodium Free
- Allergy Relief – anti-inflammatory effects can reduce seasonal allergy symptoms
- Loaded with antioxidants which prevent cellular damage. Some studies show it boosts postmenopausal women’s memory
- Antioxidants can also help lower Blood Pressure, Improve Cholesterol, Lower Triglycerides
- Helps the body Absorb Calcium
- Cough Suppressant
- Sleep Aid – can cause a rise in insulin and release serotonin which the body can convert to melatonin – can help to regulate the sleep and wake cycles
- Treats Dandruff – Honey diluted with 10% warm water and apply it to problem areas can relieve itch and reduce scalp scaling
- Natural Antibiotic that can be used on wounds and burns to promote healing and reduce inflammation
- Antibacterial and Antifungal properties
- Natural Sweetener for cooking
Keep in mind having Honey one time is not going to change your life, you need to incorporate it into your diet on a daily basis. 1 Tablespoon a day has been shown to give people these benefits.
I get all natural local honey in my grocery store. Try adding it to your cooking and let me know what you think!
I hadn’t heard of Ningxia Red until I began using Essential Oils a few weeks ago. (I will talk about the oils in a future post) I was very interested in learning more about his berry that makes the drink.
It is made of wolf-berry, pomegranate, blueberry and other super foods. **Fun fact there are more than 80 species of wolf-berry and each holds a different amount of antioxidants and nutritional value**
Benefits of the Wolf-Berry
- Vitamin B
So what makes this little shot of juice even better than just this singular berry….
- Whole food source of protein, vitamins, minerals & fiber
- Essential oils of yuzu, lemon, tangerine & orange
- Natural antioxidants
- Highest levels of naturally occurring, age defying S-ORAC activity. Studies have shown that S-ORAC supports cardiovascular health, supports healthy immune function and supports healthy eye function
- Natural detoxing
- Natural form of energy
With all of this good stuff, the main question is how does it taste? I was hesitant the first time I drank it because I was worried about the taste, but it was delicious! I had no problem drinking it down in no time. These little packets are great because it is pre-packaged in the 2oz per day that you should drink. However you can buy a large bottle as well. Some people drink it just on it’s own or mix it into their bottle of water for an infused water flavor.
Try it and let me now what you think.
So we recently talked about the benefits and needs of Probiotics, now lets see why we need Prebiotics. They are NOT the same. I read the easiest way to remember what each is for.
Prebiotics act as a fertilizer for the Probiotics.
The Probiotics are introducing the good bacteria into our gut and the Prebiotics nourish the good bacteria. Below is a list of the benefits
- lower risk for cardiovascular disease
- healthier cholesterol levels
- better gut health
- improved digestion
- lower stress response
- better hormonal balance
- higher immune function
- lower risk for obesity and weight gain
- lower inflammation and autoimmune reactions
So how can we get Prebiotics in our diet?
- acacia gum (or gum arabic)
- raw chicory root.
- raw Jerusalem artichoke.
- raw dandelion greens.
- raw garlic.
- raw leeks.
- raw or cooked onions.
- raw jicama.
These are natural ways to get Prebiotics you can also get suppliments and drinks just like the Probiotics.
Share with us how you get Prebiotics in your diet?
Are you looking for a way to get healthier but not ready for an intense workout or weight lifting secession? Start with taking walks. You can do this inside on a treadmill / around your house or outside.
Studies show that walking 30 minutes a day can reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke by up to 27%. I will take all the help I can get so lets go! Walking uses your entire body and improves circulation which helps control blood pressure and cholesterol. If you are walking outside you will also enjoy the Vitamin D.
Walking is low impact and easy on your joints. You can walk your neighborhood, beach, country side or anywhere at all. Pop in some head phones and enjoy your favorite music and take some me time.
Walking with me is almost like a run, BUT I do NOT run! I walk very fast and with a purpose. You don’t have to do this but it is kinda fun. In the nice weather I take my lunch break and walk around the office buildings, this is an easy way to take a break from work and get in that 30 minutes. It doesn’t have to be hard, make it enjoyable take your kids, pets, family or just go on you own.
Additional benefits are improving your mood, balance, strengthening your bones and muscles. Take advantage of this full body exercise and start with a fun way to begin your healthy lifestyle.
I try to make a pitcher of “Detox Water” each weekend. I normally drink it pretty fast but it is super easy to make.
Grab a pitcher, fill it halfway with water
1 Cucumber sliced (Do not peel get those nutrients!)
1 Lemon sliced
6-10 Mint Leaves
Fill the pitcher the rest of the way and place it in the fridge. Let it sit for a couple hours and drink up!
I love it, you can add more of anything for a different taste. It takes just a few minutes and really tastes great. Here is why I drink it…
Benefits of Lemon
- Aids in digestion and detoxification,
- High in Vitamin C
- Rejuvenates Skin & Body Healing
- Helps Lose Weight
- Boosts Energy & Mood
Benefits of Cucumber
- Weight Loss
- Blood Pressure
- Healthy Skin
- Bone Health
Benefits of Mint
- Promotes Digestion
- Improves oral health
- Remedy for Nausea
- Clears Congestion of Nose, Throat & Lungs
- Natural Stimulant / Relieves from Fatigue & Digestion
So go make a pitcher and let me know what you think!