I love the taste of cinnamon and lately I have been adding it to my toast, coffee and smoothies. Why? The benefits are wonderful!
- Loaded with Antioxidants
- Studies show that people who added 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon per day to their diet had lower risk for heart disease
- Lowers bad LDL and increases good HDL
- Can Improve sensitivity to the hormone insulin – insulin is part of regulating your metabolism and energy use, Cinnamon can reduce the insulin resistance many people have
- Lowers Blood Sugar Levels
- Studies link Cinnamon to inhibit the buildup of tau in the brain which is a trademark of Alzheimer’s disease
- Studies link cinnamon to help protect neurons and improve motor function
- Helps fight bacterial and fungal infections
- Optimizes Oral Health
- Skin Health
- Natural Sweetener
- Contains small amounts of protein, fiber, maganese, calcium, iron, vitamin K, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin B6, magnesium, potassium, zinc & copper
Make sure you are using Ceylon Cinnamon, this is “true” cinnamon there are other varieties that have coumarin in them which is not believed to be good for us.
Add this to your diet and share how you are doing it with us.
I cannot express how much I love my FabFitFun boxes. I get to try new products, learn about companies and have a fun surprise every season. People ask me a lot what comes in the box, well you never know! That is the fun. However, it is FULL SIZE products so you can truly try them and see if you like them. For me a sample size is usually enough for one time so how do I really know if I like it or get any of the results it claims. The products are anything from personal care, make up, jewelry, clothing, house hold items, bags, and so much more. A lot of stuff I share on here I was first introduced to through FabFitFun.
The winter box was wonderful this year.
First of all the Jade Roller, seriously my favorite thing. TIP: Do not store this in your bathroom, keep it in a cool place. I keep mine in the refrigerator because the cooling feeling is amazing. I use it after moisturizing my face and make sure you go in one direction not back and forth.
The Blaq eye masks are divine and really help with my dark circles. The Hydrate face mask is amazing, see full post. The highlighter and lipstick are perfect colors for me, which they determine from the quiz. Dry Shampoo is always a life saver and this one was great. Body scrub and a hair mask, plus a blanket….I mean I am truly loving all of these.
Liquid Gold, literally, I had forgotten how beneficial Honey in your diet was until reading EatingWell Magazine the other day. Since then I have been putting it into my smoothies and the natural sweetener is subtle and the benefits huge.
- Fat Free
- Cholesterol Free
- Sodium Free
- Allergy Relief – anti-inflammatory effects can reduce seasonal allergy symptoms
- Loaded with antioxidants which prevent cellular damage. Some studies show it boosts postmenopausal women’s memory
- Antioxidants can also help lower Blood Pressure, Improve Cholesterol, Lower Triglycerides
- Helps the body Absorb Calcium
- Cough Suppressant
- Sleep Aid – can cause a rise in insulin and release serotonin which the body can convert to melatonin – can help to regulate the sleep and wake cycles
- Treats Dandruff – Honey diluted with 10% warm water and apply it to problem areas can relieve itch and reduce scalp scaling
- Natural Antibiotic that can be used on wounds and burns to promote healing and reduce inflammation
- Antibacterial and Antifungal properties
- Natural Sweetener for cooking
Keep in mind having Honey one time is not going to change your life, you need to incorporate it into your diet on a daily basis. 1 Tablespoon a day has been shown to give people these benefits.
I get all natural local honey in my grocery store. Try adding it to your cooking and let me know what you think!
Oh boy have things been going on with the house. I am not happy to say that we found out we had a slab leak, for anyone unfamiliar that means a leak under the foundation of our house! (Yes, we just moved in and yes, we are very sure the sellers knew about it.) However, we needed to focus on fixing it. Who knows how long they let this go but I was immediately alerted after our first water and gas bill. The water company even contacted us to say based on the consumption you most likely have a leak. So investigating began.
I checked everything, nothing was running, but our meter was. Everyone kept trying to say it was a leaking toilet but those had all been checked. When the plumber arrived, who was so nice and professional, he agreed not the toilet. He had a hard time finding it at first but once he turned off our tankless water heater the meter stopped. Meaning a pipe leading to or from the water heater was the problem. Since we do not have a tank we weren’t running out of hot water it was just constantly making hot water. They used sound over our floors to locate the leak and luckily were able to break through the garage floor with no tunneling needed to find and replace the pipe. (For some time we thought they would have to break through the kitchen floor.) The leak is now fixed! I would definitely recommend this plumbing company, Service Contractors Plumbing and specifically James. He was great!
Now that the leak was fixed I had to finally give in and organize our garage. I didn’t want to purchase anything new at this time to complete this because I wanted to get things cleaned out and put away with what we had. Now I can take some time to see what we need or want to change about the garage. I am happy with how it is for now, we just need to find a place to take the 6 huge containers of paint the previous owners left. They actually left a lot of stuff we have had to clean out, including furniture. Some people are just really rude, that is all I will say. 🙂
A lot of people skip organizing the garage and just throw things in there but then you can’t find things easily. So what I did was put the things we use the most in one area in storage baskets/tubs that we can grab easily and are near the door to the house. This section is used a lot and also has our second refrigerator. I put decorations in plastic tubs by season and store them all together so we can change out our decor easily by having everything to put away and get out in one place. After that I fill in the rest with my husbands hunting stuff, sports items and miscellaneous. Through out the process I am eliminating boxes, trash, anything that is broken or we don’t use or need anymore. Don’t store it if you don’t use or need it!
I am absolutely loving this AHAVA Hydration Cream Mask. It is perfect for dry winter days and after a deep exfoliating scrub. The thick cream goes on smooth and soothes your face while it soaks deep into your skin. I cannot describe how calming and cooling it feels.
I slather it on my face and neck twice a week after my exfoliating scrub to make sure I am putting that moisture back into my skin. Especially because exposing the new skin after exfoliating means you need to treat it well. Give back to your face and neck (also back of the hands) These are the places your age shows!
The best parts about the brand….they are eco friendly and very nature conscious about what is going into their product. They strive to impact the environment as little as possible and use a water return process at their manufacturing facility. Plus….
- You will never find parabens in AHAVA formulas.
- All products are vegan, just like AHAVA products have always been.
- AHAVA products endure strict allergy testing and are approved for sensitive skin.
- Our natural ingredients are sourced from nature, never from GMOs.
- AHAVA formulates products without the questionable compounds sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), Phthalates and Triclosan.
I have now used two of their products and completely love them both. The Hydration Cream Mask and the Water Mineral Hand Cream. Both really made a difference in my skin, don’t forget skin care is more than just your face! Check them out, I know you will fall in love too.
(Not an add, I don’t get paid or get anything from AHAVA. I just share what I love)
I started out the year by making my own Hummus, I have been meaning to for months. I had the day off so I read several recipes and mixed them together to make some of my own Hummus. I always read several recipes and take what sounds good from each one to make what I want. Here is the recipe for the Hummus I made.
1 can of Garbonzo beans – rinse the beans and keep the liquid from the can
1 whole lemon
Red Pepper Flakes
- Put the Garbanzo beans, juice of lemon, 2 Table Spoons Olive Oil, 1 Table Spoon Ground Cumin, Garlic, Salt & Pepper to taste into your food processor or blender.
- Blend until you get the smooth texture you desire, add in the liquid from the Garbonzo Beans as needed to get your desired consistency.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for 3 weeks.
This is the base of the hummus you can enjoy as is or add anything for different flavors such as sun dried tomatoes.
Enjoy on sandwiches, veggies, as a dip, whatever you like!
Saying goodbye to 2018 and hello to 2019 is so exciting for me. Some people don’t get into the new year and resolutions and I can appreciate that. I have always set more of what I consider goals for the next year, but close enough. I do however want to say that you do NOT have to wait for a new year, new month, new week or a Monday to make a change or start something new! Every minute of every day you have the choice to make a change or stick to something you have already set for yourself. Don’t wait to set some goals or make a positive move in your life!
With that said I am going to share my goals for 2019 with you! Some of them are the same as I had for 2018 and some are new.
- One of my goals is to lead a healthy life style. You will notice I didn’t say “lose weight” Because weight is not the only thing that makes you healthy, we all have different numbers on the scale that make us healthy. I focus more on good food choices, learning about what I am putting in and on my body and staying consistent.
- Financial budgeting and success. It is always important for me to budget and stick to my financial goals. In years past I had set out to pay off my student loans by the time I was 30 and I was able to do that! (So proud of this) I have also paid off my car and we are now able to put that money towards other goals and projects and fun we have in life. I want to continue this great path. I keep a spreadsheet and track every penny I spend. This allows me to see where I can make changes and what needs to be focused on.
- Relationships are my next goal. I want to focus on putting in the best possible effort I can to make all of my relationships positive and the best they can be. Sometimes this can be hard for me when I am not getting the same in return from other people, however I can only control myself and I want to be positive and happy knowing I made the best effort I could.
Those are my 3 focuses for the year. I don’t want to make too many goals/resolutions because I do stick to mine and I want to keep the focus on these 3 things I find important in my life at this time. 2018 was a year of healing and change for us and I am ready to settle in to our lives in McKinney and move forward to establish the life we want. It is going to be hard and we have already faced several challenges in the month and a half we have been here. I am ready for what is to come and I am happy to move forward.
What are your goals or resolutions for 2019?