We just got back from a vacation. It is rare for us to take a week together, we get short periods of time but with our jobs it’s hard to coordinate. Plus you know….life. A lot of other things are going on in our lives but we still mad it happen. It was great too, we got to spend time away and for 4 days I had no service and it was THE BEST! I totally recommend it. I missed nothing.
We went to Hot Springs, AR, Nashville, TN and Byrdstown, TN/Dale Hallow Lake. My family has been going to the lake since before I was born. My dad went with his family, then took my mom, then us and now we continued the tradition and now shared it with my niece. Being on the lake are some of the best memories from growing up, it is my favorite place. We spend our days on the water and evenings eating and talking but mostly laughing about something.
I stayed active with water sports, chasing my niece, walking and so much more. I used to love to just lay around on vacations but now I enjoy getting up early having coffee and getting things going. I know not everyone is like that! I love to see all the sights and being a “tourist” so yes in Nashville I was just that. We went to the Country Music Hall of Fame, The Grand Ole Opry, Ryman Auditorium and walked all over down town. It was so fun.
Hot Springs was beautiful, it was just a one night stop but it was gorgeous and I would definitely go back. We had a great dinner at a cute little brewery on the hill and a morning on the golf course.
Where are you favorite places to go?
Check out our Instagram & Facebook posts to enter for your chance to win 2 free entries to the Boerne Handmade Market in October! This is a don’t miss event in the Hill Country.
I am really proud of my activity and consistency this past year. For about 5 years now I have really been focusing on working out and being active. This past year I have really pushed myself and seen great results. I have growing muscle tone and those days I slip up with my food don’t give me so many side effects. Here are some of the things that have really helped keep me consistence and pushing forward.
1.Tracking it – I use a couple different apps and a calendar to do this. I use MyFitnessPal, Endomondo & I keep it in my planner as well as calendar on the wall at my house. Why so many places you ask? For me the two apps track different things so I like them both, the additional of the planner and calendar are because my planner is always with me and keeps me scheduled. The calendar at homes let me know what is going on that week. Keeping it scheduled is key and helps hold me accountable to myself.
2. Trying New Things – I do not like to do the same thing in a work out over and over. I want to be doing new things and trying something new all the time. I love going to new gyms or studios, using free videos online or TV, getting workout DVDs from thrift stores or just doing my own thing at home. Whatever it is I have to mix it up and keep my body guessing.
3. Pictures – Some people think the selfie or gym pic is silly but guess what it can really motivate you. Actually seeing your progress or or body change in photos is really rewarding and pushes you forward.
4. Fit Friends – Surrounding yourself with people who like to be active and eat healthy has been very helpful. I like hearing their ideas and what they are doing or like. Plus is great to go out and be active with great company, walking or hiking, it doesn’t have to be in the gym.
These are the main things that have kept me going and will keep me going forward. What do you guys like to do? Follow me on the apps too!
Recently I have really been trying to find new products for my skin care. I have noticed a lot of changes and I really haven’t gotten into a good routine. I have found, that for me, I need something I can grab in a store and not order online or through a seller. I don’t order in advance so I need to just go pick some up. I also don’t like a super expensive price tag so that is important to me. I don’t personally think I have to stick with a full line either, I am mixing and matching what I like best. Here is what I am currently using.
- Hill Country Make Up Remover Wipes / For those of you not in Texas, this is the HEB version. I have also used Neutrogena and fine them to work exactly the same so I purchase whichever is less $$$ – I use this wipe first to remove all my make up for the day or to refresh after a workout.
- Fresh Foaming Cleanser / Neutrogena – I really like this cleanser, it gets deep into my pores and my face looks fresh with no residue after using. I use this after the make up remover.
- Pore Refining Toner / Neutrogena – I have actually used this for a couple of years and every time I stop using it regularly I see my pores getting huge again. A bottle last a long time too because you just use a little bit on a cotton ball after cleansing.
- Pore Strips / Biore – My mom introduced these to me when I was younger (oh happy days) I love them. I actually really love to see everything they pull out of my skin. I buy the value pack that has the nose strips along with the one for your forehead. I cut the one for your forehead in half and use it on either side of my nose strip to get the additional pores on my cheeks. I also do the same with another strip for the chin. I do this once every other week after cleansing/before toner.
- Positively Radiant Intensive Night Cream / Aveeno – I grabbed this one day because it was on sale and I feel in love. After washing my face at night I put this on my face, neck and back of my hands. I let it all soak in and my face feels so soft and I can see a difference in the evenness of my skin.
I try my best to do this every night. Sometimes I am lazy and it’s the last thing on my mind but I really see a big difference when I stick to it. I see less oil on my face half way through the day and less outbreaks, which have become a thing now that I am 30. Aging is fun. Try some of these if you are on the search and don’t be afraid to mix and match brands & products.
One of my favorite things to do is walk through different parks or areas of town to explore. Not only is this a great way to stay active but I get to see new places. Veterans Plaza is located in the heart of Boerne off Main Street and is a beautiful place to take some time and appreciate what is around you but also the sacrifice many men and women have made for the lives we have today.
As you walk up the main entrance you will see the names of so many local people who have served in all branches of service. If you are from here I am sure you can find a name you recognize or are related to. As you come up to the center you will read some beautiful stories of brilliance, heart, strength and selflessness.
I grabbed some lunch and sat on a bench in the shade and enjoyed some me time. There is plenty of room for pets and family to enjoy some time outside together or even a great outdoor workout. Many of you have driven by and never stopped. I really recommend taking a moment to walk to the center and read the stories of some amazing people from right here in our community.
I have gotten several compliments on my linen closet so I want to share my tips with you. The closet is located in the guest bathroom and is a great size.
The first thing I did was get several different containers and baskets that coordinate together, are different sizes but not all the matchy matchy. Next I went through everything I had that needed to go in the closet.
- Body Towels
- Hand Towels
- Wash Clothes
- Body Washes
- Oral Health supplies
After separating everything into groups that I wanted. I put each into a basket/container and labeled it. This way when guests open the door they can find exactly what they are looking for without need to search. (sometimes as a guest I feel uncomfortable looking for something because I feel like I am snooping)
Next I place everything in the closet. This takes a couple times and is sort of a puzzle, I switch containers and move things around until it all comes together. I want to keep like things together so if you are jumping in the shower you can grab your shampoo, conditioner and body wash easily without searching.
It’s in the details, when folding towels keep the hems or details all facing the same way, it will transform the sleek look with this quick change.
Another question I get a lot is where do you get all those little bottles well it’s simple. When I travel I take them all from the hotel room we are in. I also ask other people for them if they are traveling. 🙂 I used to just keep them in glass containers in the bathroom but my collection is quit large now.
My husband and I have always loved going to baseball games together. He is Cardinals fan and I am a Reds fan, the rivalry is the best. We have gone to several games together over the years and enjoy sports in general. We recently went to the San Antonio Missions baseball game and had a blast. If you are local and haven’t gone you really should and take the entire family.
The stadium has easy parking, clean and tons of food to pick from. The tickets are super affordable and the atmosphere & fans are great. It happened to rain the entire time we were there but we still had a great time. Everything is affordable from tickets, drinks, food and even the merchandise. We had great seats but from looking around it appeared all seats would give you a great view of the game.
The website is very easy to navigate to see the schedule and get tickets. It shows all the promotions and other fun stuff going on as well.
Head out for a fun day or night out!