From the moment I got pregnant my gums have been bleeding. I have talked about dental health before and I really try my best to do everything I can for my dental health BUT this has been awful. The cause is from the change in hormones in your body which increases the blood flow to the gums. With all the hormones from IVF and pregnancy it came on very quickly for me.
Swollen gums and bleeding – yuck!
So what can be done about it?
- Brush your teeth at least 2 a day using a soft bristle tooth brush
- Floss – recommended once a day but I just try to do it as often as I can
- Warm salt rinse – 1 tbls salt to 1 cup of water
- Keep up your dental visits (recommended every 6 months)
- Good nutrition will also help
It may not seem like a big deal but gingivitis can turn into periodontal infections which can cause preterm labor. This is a serious thing to pay attention to.