As you know I love to go on a walk or hike and I have shared the benefits of walking on a regular basis before. I have continued walking though my pregnancy as well and the benefits are great for this time as well.
A lot of people can fall into laying on the couch or eliminating activity during pregnancy because, lets face it, it can be really hard. The growing belly, back pain, swelling, balance changing, exhaustion and I could go on forever but I won’t. Some days after a full day of working the last thing I want to do is walk or work out BUT pushing through will benefit me more than sitting on the couch.
Benefits of Walking During Pregnancy
- Keeps your heart strong and your muscle’s tones
- May assist in a shorter easier labor
- Helps to burn calories to assist with too much weight gain
- Helps to protect against developing gestational diabetes & preeclampisia
- Eases constipation
- A great way to have Me Time
- Helps to reduce bloating and swelling
- Improves energy, mood & posture
- Helps you to sleep better
- Assists in getting back in shape after giving birth
These benefits are enough reasons for me to keep moving. I try to walk at least 5 days a week and also incorporate other workouts and activity into my week. This past week I did 6 days in a row of walking at almost 10 miles.
Listen to your body and make sure you have water and a phone with you just in case you need help.