I love going to the gym and working out, however I really do not when people don’t follow gym etiquette! Below are some of my pet peeves that I see people doing all the time. If you are going to the gym please make sure you follow gym etiquette.
- Clean your machine. I cannot stress this enough, do you want to use a machine covered in a stranger’s sweat? I didn’t think so. All gyms have the cleaning rags all over, after EVERY machine or piece of equipment you use wipe it down.
- Put your stuff away. If you are getting out several size weights, medicine ball and other items to get your sweat on wonderful, now put it all back when you are done. Other people are going to want to use the equipment and shouldn’t have to go on a wild goose chase to find it.
- Kids running around. Many gyms have a kids area where they can go while you workout, if your gym doesn’t then you need to make arrangements for your child while you work out. A young child running around can get seriously injured in a gym. This goes for those middle school aged/teenage kids as well, if they are not there to work out and you are not able to keep your eye on them they do not need to be there. This is not a playground.
- Give people space. Don’t hover over someone while they are exercising, leave room and if you are waiting on a machine give the person space to finish what they are doing and time to clean the machine then go over.
- Cell phone use. If you are going to have a phone conversation step outside, don’t disturb everyone else in the gym. If you are just going to sit on a machine and text or check social media for long extended periods of time, maybe just stay at home. If this is too tempting for you leave your phone in the car. Focus on what you are doing to get the best results.
I see these happen everyday and it can be really frustrating for people who are there and serious about their gym time. If it is your first time going to the gym ask for a tour and learn any specific rules the gym you are attending have. This way you are ready to go!